I am concerned for all of you.*
I've given you the benefit of the doubt longer than Jen Aniston gave Brad during the "Mr. and Mrs. Smith" filming. I've assumed you'll mature over the course of the season.
I feel bad saying this to a bunch of teenagers,** but you're the most shallow, egotistical, self-indulgent, unaware, naive, manipulative, vain, fake, delusional whoremongers this side of Paris Hilton's BFFs.
Taylor is stringing along Cole and Sebastian and, like, having trouble handling two boys!
PC totally wants out of the drama of prep school, because he is soooo over it! Oh, and he's not sure if he likes boys!
Sebastian is getting tired of hooking up with hot girls!
Camille is having such a hard time finding a good guy to date!
Jessie has crazy eyes!***
Kelli always has boys chasing after her, but she's not into them!
DON'T YOU SEE THEIR PROBLEMS!!?!?!?!
Oh, did I forget to mention they are all filthy rich?
All of this, in and of itself, is not the issue- hey, that's just teenage versions of the Real World, which is the young adult version of Real Housewives.
The issue is I'm a little concerned kids these days**** don't have the quality youth-focused shows at their disposal that I did. Are they watching NYC Prep in the same admirable light we watched Fresh Prince? Is this kind of show going to be the one, a decade from now, some trite blogger will reference repeatedly on his blog because he's nostalgic and uncreative and his name is Andy?
- I had Real World and Road Rules, kids now have Bromance and a vodka-ed down version of Real World.
- I had Saved by the Bell, you've got High School Musical, which can't hold a candle to a Screech/Lisa dance-off.
- I had Step-by-Step and Seventh Heaven, you have One Tree Hill and Gossip Girl.
- I had Full House, you've got Jon & Kate Plus 8.
- I had Star Search, you have American Idol. OK, that one's better, but there's no Ed McMahon!*****
Please respond, NYC Prep, and let me know what you think you offer to the adolescent pop culture scene. You just had your season finale (OMG! Camille and Jessie got in fight! Dramz!)
Wild ARS Chase
* Especially that Cole kid. His insecurity issues have insecurity issues.
** I felt bad for a solid two seconds. That's long enough, in my book.
*** Unrelated. Just wanted to note.
**** Oh crap! I just said that!
***** That's because he's dead. RIP.