I was at a two-day reporters conference on Thursday and Friday, then decided to enjoy the first days of nice weather we've had in Pennsylvania this spring. (MILF, usually on the last Friday of the month, will be this Friday instead.)
Here's the Weekend Update:
- You know you're in a downward spiraling industry when one reporter announces she's attending the conference because the original person was laid off the day before, and the first speaker, a veteran editor, accepted a buy-out in the winter. Other than that, newspapers are alive and well!
- I watched the Making the Band Season Finale on Thursday night. Drama! You may have noticed I didn't do any TV Play by Plays on the Danity Kane/Day 25/Donnie "Not Quite Justin Timberlake" Klang show this season. That's because Diddy broke up Danity Kane, and I was holding a grudge like a 12-year-old girl. Well, in the season finale, Danity Kane reunites-- minus Andrea, who Diddy fired the episode before. If there's a bigger trainwreck than Aubrey, I'd like you to show me. Aubrey, who is the Yoko of Danity Kane, announced she is getting her own reality show, following her
failuretravails on Broadway. You know, because nothing makes more sense than to leave a multi-platinum, uber-successful, MTV-backed group for the popularity of Playboy and a stint on the Great White Way.
- Wow, I get way too upset about Making the Band.
- Whatever happened to O-Town?
- Capricorn and I spent Friday night at a church 20-somethings Game Night. We played a game called "The Game of Things." Example: "Things You Wear to Bed." I might write down, "t-shirt," "boxers" or "love cuffs." Then you go around the room, guessing who said what. I was terrible at the game, as I went for jokes rather than winning. Sample answer: "What's with the guy who got the "heart" power on Captain Planet," in response to "Things you'd complain about in hell."
- Saturday: Capricorn and I had Date Night. Sure, we've been dating for seven months now, but sometimes you need to set an actual day where you purposefully do something planned and romantic. Taking her out for McNuggets doesn't count.* So I cooked dinner (fajitas), we went out for dessert, and came back and watched "The Reader." Capricorn had been dying to see this Kate Winslet movie for months. It's excellent-- tell your boyfriends that Kate is crazy nude in the movie. Then they will be sucked in before they realize it's actually about love and stuff.
- Sunday: You need know nothing more about Capricorn than this: We watched The Reader Saturday, and then she was all about my selection for Sunday: "Notorious," a biopic of the life and tragedy of Notorious B.I.G. No-no-no-Notorious! Coincidentally, there's a lot of nudity in this movie too, but it's mostly hos going down on Big Poppa, who evidently was the cock of the walk. It's a good movie, if, like me, you love old-school hip-hop (eh, Joshlos?) and get somewhat aroused at hearing classics like "Mo Money, Mo Problems" or "Juicy." If you have no idea what I'm talking about, go watch "The Reader" or something.
- According to the movie, which Puffy/P Diddy/Diddy/Sean John produced, Puffy used to be a street-savvy gangsta. Now, he says things like "Bitchassness" and gets in arguments with members of boy band Day 26. What would Biggie say about all this, Diddy?
- I start practice next week for "The Sound of Music." I got the part of Max, so I'll have two songs, lots of stage time and I'll be the comic relief. I'll keep you updated on how things go. I wonder if the director would be open to changing the script so that Max ends up having a secret affair with Maria and fathers her bastard child. Just a thought.