- On Friday, I had a Bro's Night. I haven't had a bro's night in quite some time, mostly because I rarely have male friends. But, with my actual bro and two other bros with me, we saw "Fast & Furious" on Good Friday night. A review will come soon, but let me say a few things: In our mid-20s, we were some of the oldest people in the theater... My brother thought he saw some cute girls, then we realize they were about 15...
- Afterward, we were all pumped up to do something manly, like cut down a tree, repair a dishwasher or take advantage of a vulnerable girl. We lucked out, because a girl in the parking lot was in distress and needed manly help. Her car battery died, so we jumped her... car. In the meantime, one of the guys and I thought we heard another pair of underage girls say they needed jumper cables, so we walked across the parking lot to possibly help them. Except, it looked really creepy and stalkerish as we strolled over in the dark, and when we asked if they needed help, we got the evil eye and I think one of them silently dialed 911. It's really hard to be a Good Samaritan to underage girls these days, even with good intentions on Good Friday.
- Now that I'm in my new apartment, I'm doing everything I can to keep it clean, as I spent part of Saturday on upkeep. But have you ever thought about how silly and fruitless the pursuit of cleanliness is? You clean all the time so that things don't get dirty, but they get dirty anyway, so you have to clean. God may have created the universe, but He skipped the logical step of making dirt disappear magically. That is, until Billy Mays discovered Kaboom! (I need to stop thinking about infomercials.)
- Do people dress up anymore for Easter Sunday? I've always liked to dress to the nines on Easter. But this year, I noticed many people looked like they were hoping to go grocery shopping, change their motor oil or sleep around after church. This is for Jesus, people. He didn't look like a slouch in the Last Supper, did He?
- Not so Jesus-like: Churches that have light shows, PowerPoint and elaborate music performances to talk about Jesus' resurrection. I think we might be missing the message if we are throwing John 3:16 up using a $20,000 projector.
- When I was a kid, my brother, sister and I would have an Easter egg hunt in our living room, with plastic shells full of change or, in some instances, a buck or two. We did this through our high school years, to the point that we'd throw each other around. But we don't do this anymore, and that's sad. 'Cause I could really use a buck or two.
- I spent the weekend at Capricorn's family's house. On Saturday night, I flipped intermittently between watching "Independence Day" and "The Sound of Music."** Julie Andrews loses some of her charm when you spend commercial breaks watching Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith attack aliens. But I couldn't miss the opportunity to watch Vivica A. Fox's career crumble before my eyes.
** I might be auditioning for a local production of "The Sound of Music," so there's a reason.
Coming up: A review of "Fast & Furious" and a Snuggie review....
On a serious note, one of Capricorn's family dogs is very sick and, unless God performs an Easter miracle, will likely not make it much longer. So, in honor of
Update: Dugan has now passed on to that big dog park in the sky. He was 12 years-old. I spent many a Saturday with ol' Duges curled up at my feet, and Bailey on my side, as we watched For the Love of Ray J re-runs. R.I.P.