">

Monday, October 12, 2009

To discuss a month in review: September

Took me longer than expect, but I finally got around to the September Month in Review. The delay might be because September went by quicker than Tara Reid's fame.

From now on, since this blog is more than a year-old (753 in human years), I'll give you a link to the Month in Review from this time last year. Here's September 2008.

Favorite movie: "I Love You, Man." Exactly what you'd expect from it, in a good way. Paul Rudd=Funny. The strange thing is, he was equally good in "Clueless," except the Judd Apatow mafia wasn't famous then, so Rudd only gets appreciated for doing his lovable, goofy shtick now. Speaking of which, is Alicia Silverstone still alive? Someone should call her just to make sure.

Runner-Up: "Adventureland" It was filmed in Pittsburgh's Kennywood Park (anyone from that area knows how sweet that is), and was genuinely funny even though it starred Kristen Stewart. Don't expect a "Knocked Up" or "Superbad" kind of funny, though. It's more of a dark funny.

Least favorite movie: "Sex and the Teenage Mind" Completely random movie I watched, and it could be one of the worst movies of all time. Consider: 1) Although it was shot this decade, I thought the whole time it was filmed in the 1990s because of the outfits and technology used by the characters, such as a corded telephones and big flannel shirts 2) The biggest stars are Winnie from Wonder Years, Donkey Lips from Salute Your Shorts and Al from Home Improvement. 3) It makes American Pie look like high art. I'm not even being facetious.
This was the only clip I could find. It just about sums it up.


Favorite song: "Make Her Say," Kid Cudi, Kanye West. It makes Lady Gaga sound relatable (and makes "Poker Face" have a whole new meaning). And it makes me forget about Lady Gaga bathing herself in blood on the MTV Video Music Awards, and about Kanye picking on a skinny white girl.

Runner-up: "Wasted," Gucci Mane. I've really been into gangsta rap lately, like I'm 16 again, or Natalie Portman. I listen to Hip Hop Nation on XM Radio all the time, pretending it's perfectly acceptable for me to listen along with a station that A) talks about the hard street life and B) uses the 'n' word in songs like I pepper "dude" into a conversation. I might as well be Kim from Real Housewives of Atlanta.
Consider these lyrics from "Wasted":
"Sippin on purple stuff, rolling up stanky/Waking up in the morning 10 a.m. dranking." It's practically Gershwin!

Least favorite song: "Gotta Feeling," Black Eyes Peas. I've gotta feeling they wrote the lyrics on a napkin one night and decided to throw it together into a song.

Best New TV Show (in honor of the fall season): Um, "Community," maybe? It's uneven, but I do love Ken Jeong as the Spanish teacher... I caught one episode of Modern Family and Cougar Town, and both made me laugh.

Worst New TV show: You'd think I'd say "Glee," considering what I wrote recently, but Glee isn't horrible- just not as good as it could be.* No, the worst new TV show is "Accidentally on Purpose", the CBS show starring Jenna "Fading Star" Elfman. I watch it because it's in between How I Met Your Mother and Two and a Half Men. It's got a shoddy plot (what happens when she has the baby?), two annoying characters in the sister and the best friend, and is trying way too hard.

Best TV show I just discovered: Tie, "Entourage" and "Curb Your Enthusiasm." Took me long enough to get on board. At this rate, I'll be extolling the virtues of "L.A. Law" next month.

Best moment: Capricorn and I celebrating our one-year anniversary. A year goes by fast when you're with someone who makes the hours fleeting.

Worst moments: There are some things that aren't meant to be blogged, so I'll just say part of September was really rough. If my year was a Zack Braff movie, then part of September was that portion of his movies where he sits on the steps in the rain and stares.

Best decision: Judging by your reactions, probably keeping my sponsorship for my African son. But the real question is, how can I get someone to sponsor me?

Favorite Blog Post by Me: I love guest blogging, so nothing was more fun than giving male insight to Miss Tiff.

Favorite Blog Entry by Someone Else: Cavy had a very, very bad day. Delightfully, she decided to share it with us so we could laugh and pointcommiserate with her.

Blogger of the Month:I didn't get to do enough blog reading in September. Not nearly enough. So I'll hold off, and hope October gets me back on track. Thanks for coming by Wild ARS, anyway.

* P.S. Yes, I do understand the show isn't supposed to be totally believable. But neither is The Office. The difference is, The Office knows that, and never tries to make you think this is an actual, functioning paper company. Glee doesn't know what kind of show it wants to be-- is the glee club the focus, or is it the school as a whole/is it spoofing high school, or is it emulating high school... I'll give it time to figure itself out. Fair enough?

8 comments:

Kellie said...

Dang it! I started watching I Love You, Man in flight coming home from Europe and wouldn't you know it I got cut off with probably 20 minutes of the movie left so I still haven't seen the whole thing! But I'm going to! It was hilarious!

FunnyGal KAT said...

I secretly love "Make Her Say." I say "secretly" because I feel like I'm too old to even be listening to the station that plays that song 17-hundred times a day. But it's catchy. Hope this month is better for you, Andy!

Amy xxoo said...

" I Love You, Man " is at the top of my list of " just released/ need to watch " DVD's.

Also - so cute that your moment of the month is so lovey-dovey. Awwww!

Tiffy said...

I really liked "I Love You Man". It was very funny. "Adventureland" was also awesome.

Andy - Instafather said...

Kellie- You should finish it off- well worth it.
KAT- Don't secretly like it. Like it. No shame.
Amy- I think you've been out-cuting me in blog content (Miss Babymoon), so it's nice for me to get one in.
Tiff- Sweet! I've got good taste, then.

Jenners said...

I wanted to like "Community" because I love Joel McHale but it just isn't doing it for me. I'm really loving "Modern Family" though.

And I'm glad you're seeing Curb Your Enthusiasm! I love it. You gotta see the old seasons. And seriously -- check out "Dexter" -- it has EVERYTHING! Hands down, my favorite TV show.

Anonymous said...

You don't like "I've Got A Feeling"? We can't be friends.

Sam_I_am said...

I didn't know "Adventureland" was filmed at KENNYWOOD. I got very excited when I just watched the trailer.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin