">

Monday, June 1, 2009

To discuss Top 10 iTunes Embarrassments

Background: I spent most of Friday night continuing my follow-up from this debacle. This time, the focus was on my iTunes media library. Fortunately, I already knew how to transfer my songs from my iPod back to my now-blank iTunes library. But my playlists hadn't transferred, so it was time to start from scratch. While I was at it, I figured I should go through all my songs and fill in missing file information-- album title, year released, times artist arrested.

I posted on my Facebook status I was doing this for my library of about 800 songs (although I later realized I have about 1,100 songs), and soon, several Facebook friends took the opportunity to point out they had thousands more songs than that, the proverbial "mine is larger than yours" debate (I did not use that opportunity to say it's not how big your music library is, it's how you use it.)

I had no idea I was in a contest. I prefer to keep my library to what I would expect to listen to on a semi-regular basis. There's a certain litmus test a song must pass to get in, as I just don't download a song willy-nilly, or even Willie Nelson.

Still, that leaves some songs that get in by a combination of "I can't get that song out of my head," "it's 3 a.m. and this song is starting to sound better" or "this chick is hot and listening to it gives me a viable reason to think of her scantily clad, or at least that's what I'll tell a pastor if he asks."

Here, in no particular order, are my Top 10 Embarrassing Inclusions on My iTunes Playlist:

1. Miss Saigon Soundtrack: Sure, I'm a music theater person. And sure, musicals are more in vogue now than they used to be... but belting out "The Movie In My Mind " on the highway... by yourself... is a little awkward, don't you think?

2. "Knock Me Out," Tatyana Ali: Yes, that Tatyana Ali. Ashley. From "Fresh Prince." No, this isn't that fly song she sang on the show when Will was her manager and no one came to her album signing event. This is off the album she released after the show. And I love this song. It even includes a rap from the Fresh Prince.

3. "Don't Walk Away," Jade: Excellent song. If, you know, you're an urban female from the 1990s. Since I'm not one, and there's no real reason I should like this song-- and I do, oh, I do-- it's not my finest moment.

4. "808," Blaque: Continuing my affinity for urban female R&B groups (see Kane, Danity), Blaque had this hit in 1999, and I still am not sure what in the world the song is about. "Boom like an 808, circles like a figure eight, feels good from head to toe, come on baby here we go." Um, here we go what? Have sex? Fly a plane? Figure skate? Whatever, it's catchy.

5. "Kitty Kat," Beyonce: On general principle, Beyone annoys me. But I have this song, and "Ring the Alarm," on my iPod. I'm admitting this to the world. And yes, Beyonce, don't think you can sing an entire song about taking away your "kitty kat" from your man and fool me. I know what you're singing about... it's controlling the pet population, isn't it?

6. "Untouched," Veronicas: I was either going to admit I recently downloaded this song here, or in the upcoming month in review. I just can't get over the violin-ish background music and the hypnotic singing. Someone help me!

7. "Fall In Love With You," Selena: Selena is a legitimate, albeit tragic, artist. So, no shame in that. The shame is that I got this song after watching the Jennifer Lopez movie and getting teary-eyed at the end. Man card, revoked.

8. "Beep" Pussycat Dolls: This isn't even one of the *ahem* good Pussycat Dolls songs. This is the single they released that kind of got glossed over, except I couldn't get enough of will.i.am and his censored rapping about vaginas* while Nicole and her backup singers danced around in leather pants.

9. "About Us," Brooke Hogan: I... well, you see... The thing about Brook is...and, you know... aww, beep it.

10. "Incomplete," Backstreet Boys: Understandable: Listening to *NSYNC or Backstreet when they first came out and everyone was overcome with boybanditis. Not as understandable: Being an adult male and listening to a former boy band making an ill-fated comeback, under the ruse you think they have "a nice sound."

* Wait, THAT'S what Kitty Kat is about! It's about censorship! *readers slowly shake heads*
-----------------------------------
Now, dear friends, it's your turn. In comments or your own post (and let us know if you do), please list your own embarrassing iTunes inclusions. I shouldn't be the only one doing the walk of shame.

20 comments:

Srg said...

No embarrassing music post would be complete without a mention of New Kids on the Block. So let me be the first to admit that I have their entire greatest hits album as well as some stuff from their newest album - The Block.

Children of the 90s said...

Most of these aren't so bad. I definitely have that Tatyana Ali song, also. That Brooke Hogan one is questionable, though....

spleeness said...

I am way too old to love Justin Timberlake and BSB but I do anyway. Will have to check some of yours out, they sound good. Even if your man card is revoked! haha

You can include the actual tunes if you copy the link from blip.fm - then us lazy readers can listen right from your blog.

Andy - Instafather said...

SRG: It's public now. No turning back.
Children: Aren't so bad if you're a girl, that is...
Splee: I would like my man card back, but I think it's since been destroyed... thanks for the link suggestion, I'm trying it out.

Heather said...

This will probably become a post of it's own for me. I have several songs that would most likely be considered embarrassments... like the entire Enchanted soundtrack (yes I'm aware I'm 24), or "Touch Myself" by the Divinyls. Or "Wannabe" by Spice Girls...
Yeah. I'm feeling a seperate post.

Sam_I_am said...

Candy Man and Barbie Girl by Aqua. My nephew was shocked that I have their CD. Oh, also Jessica and Nick Lachey's A Whole New World.

gracie-mel said...

if you have the "Lion King" sound track (because admit it: Hakuna Matata is pretty freakin catchy) and House of Pain in your most played list, is your computer more likely to crash???
That there pretty much sums up my eclectic tastes.

gracie-mel said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kellie said...

Okay, so those are pretty dang bad. Except the Veronicas. I like that song too.

WuTang said...

I totally have some Willie Nelson. And also that song with the violins. (forget what it's called already). I also have random spice girl songs that ALWAYS play only when I'm publicly playing my shuffle. I swear I think they're out to get me!

Diane said...

I don't know whether to feel old or stupid... or both... but I only knew, like, 2 of those songs!

Or heeeeeeey... maybe I just have good taste! Yeah, let's go with that one, k?

Dani said...

"I'm a Genie in a Bottle" by Christina Aguilera

Amy xxoo said...

I am so going to do this "challenge " on my blog. Also, i'd rather call it a challenge than admit i am ripping off your idea.

As far as teh songs go, i dont know many of them because i'm just not into R'n'B but the Veronicas ? People love them here in Australia and " Untouched " is a great song!

Anonymous said...

"Don't Walk Away" is the jam and is in no way embarrassing to have in your collection. Then again, roughly most of my music collection is probably considered embarrassing by most. I'm used to listening to what I listen to and don't really care what people think of what I listen to. "808" and "Kitty Kat" are decent jams as well, btw.

Jenners said...

First of all, my husband's entire musical library is based on "Women Who Look Hot." He could care less about the songs ... it is about how they look. I think he is ridiculous.

My walk of shame:

"Liquid Dreams" by O-Town. (oh...that was painful to admit. I really wanted the other O-Town song but settled for this. Even that is embarassing.)

"Games People Play" by The Spinners. How many people who know how to work an ipod ever download the Spinners, I ask you? Am I the only one? I just love this song ... I don't care. I like the low voice in it.

"The Land of Make Believe" by Chuck Mangione. My husband makes me turn it off every time it comes on the shuffle but I LOVE THIS SONG!

I may or may not have several songs by Ms. Britney Spears. I'm not confirming or denying.

P said...

"Ice Ice Baby", "Scatman", many Ace of Base tracks . . . the odd S-Club 7 song (eek). And many more I can't think of. Perhaps it will be a future post.

PS I LOVE "Untouched" - it's an AWESOME song!

Tia said...

you inspired me.

http://www.clevergirlgoesblog.com/2009/06/ishame.html

i'd put this in html but i don't know how. i suck.

Sadako said...

Aww, I love Tatyana Ali. I knew that she put out an album but I never listened to it. Ashley was awesome though.

~Sheila~ said...

I pretty much had the same thing going on in my Ipod (before some fool stole it) all except for the N'sync. Never been a die-hard fan to get their stuff or even listen to it over and over.

I had Arrested Development and Kwame and SWV..yeah, stuff like that.
I also had some Metallica, Limp Biskit, Linkin Park..but that was cause Angel had brainwashed me.

I'm all better now.

~Sheila~ said...

Damn...now I know I posted twice cause of your "blog owner approval" thingy. I missed it the first time.

That's what I get for being all late to come and comment.

Sorry.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin