">

Monday, March 2, 2009

To discuss a month in review: February is lovely this time of year

February might be the shortest month of the year, but I don't judge things by their length. That's for women to do. February is a great time for me: Tax refunds, my birthday, awards shows and, for once, a happy Valentine's Day. Here's my February, link-loaded, month-in-review:
  • Favorite movie: "Pineapple Express" For a stoner movie, it was consistently funny. I like that Seth Rogen had no remorse in writing a script in which his adult character is dating a high school girl. I do wonder how many movies he can pump out before he becomes the next Will Ferrell, turning "Oh sweet, Ferrell's new flick!" into "Sweet fancy Moses, what contrived storyline is he going with this time?" Runner up: "Hamlet 2" and "He's Just Not That Into You"
  • Least favorite movie: "Escape from Alaska" Not to be confused with Sarah Palin's vice presidency bid... This is a family favorite for its awfulness: It features the crazy guy from Full Metal Jacket, plus the special effects are atrocious. As in, you can clearly tell they are using a model train set when an avalanche destroys the town. Runner-up: "Slumdog Millionaire." It's not an underdog if it wins everything. Fleet Foxes long beard
  • Favorite song: "Blue Ridge Mountains," Fleet Foxes. Discovered them on "SNL" not that long ago, and have been liking their Beach Boys meets Simon & Garfunkel meets Cold Mountain hillbilly soundtrack....Sidenote: They look like Jude Law near the end of Cold Mountain, too. Don't you agree? Runner-up: "The '59 Sound," The Gaslight Anthem.
  • Least favorite song: Any Chris Brown song. Chris Weezy's songs just remind me of domestic abuse now, in the same way that Katy Perry makes me think of vocal abuse.
  • Favorite album: "Tha Carter III," Lil Wayne. For the record, I liked this long before he was getting Grammy nods. I like blasting "A Milli" from my Honda Accord. It has a certain jene se qua as passers by see a skinny white guy with a cardigan and a faux hawk pumping it from his stock speakers.
  • Best TV Show: Dog Whisperer Cesar Millan"Dog Whisperer." Drop what you're doing (unless you're in the middle of pleasing your partner, and then, please, don't stop, because that's bad manners). Turn on the National Geographic channel. Watch Cesar Millan tame the untameable. I've spent the past weekend calling myself a Dog Whisperer and mimicking pack leader assertiveness as I roll Bailey onto his side and growl. It would be much more impressive if Bailey wasn't a chiweenie. Runner up: "American Idol" and "Millionaire Matchmaker." And it's almost time for "America's Next Top Model"!
  • Worst TV show: "Making the Band" is making me upset. I'm boycotting doing Play by Plays on the show until Danity Kane regroups. Right now, Aubrey (who has since done Playboy), D Woods and Shannon have all been fired or quit. Dawn and Aundrea have spent this season wallowing in pity and wondering what to do next. Don't they know that Making the Band isn't have as fun without Aubrey's trainwreck antics? Let's get going, Diddy.
  • Best moments: My birthday (celebrated by Southern Belle) and getting featured as the USA Today Pop Candy Reader of the Day.
  • Worst moments: Waking up after this dream and wondering what narcotics I must be taking.
  • Best decision: Everything I did for Valentine's Day worked out great. Now, of course, I have to top myself next year, which will likely create the need for a helicopter ride or swimming with dolphins or something.
  • Worst decision: Deciding it's a great idea to move into a new place where I'll have to put down a $300 nonrefundable pet deposit for a 10-pound chiweenie. (Eh, it's got a washer/dryer and a dishwasher... I'll live).
  • Biggest change: In the span of about a month, I went from writing one blog to writing three: Wild ARS Chase, Real Blogger of York County (my blog for work, all on reality TV shows) and, now, "The Office" recaps/news for TVFodder.com). So, add that to my day job as a news writer and I write, oh, say, all the time. In the short term, that's meant a little less blog commenting and a little more writing, but eventually it'll balance out. Thanks for understanding in the mean time, and for checking out my other stuff. I promise not to get all Tyra Banks-esque and try to take over the world.
  • Favorite Blog Entry by Me: What I am now considering making a regular feature, my Love Coach texts. I also love doing awards show commentary for all of you.
  • Favorite Blog Entry by Someone Else: It gives me great joy to give this to a regular reader, SJ at Funny Gals, for her post on "Animal Husbandry." It involves bunny orgies ("Not as floored, however, as when the male then mounted the female's head.") Please read. And, as far as guest posts go, they don't get much better than Finger Talks' birthday post for me.

13 comments:

~Sheila~ said...

I did notice that you are writing more than you used to because of the other blogs.
Not sure how happy I am about that. Those other blogs stole you away.
It's fine. As long as you are having fun.
Angel likes the Dog Whisperer.
Personally...I think Ceaser Millan, David Blane and Chris Angel all made deals with the Devil.

Chloe said...

I really am so excited for ANTM. It's vaguely sad just how impatient I am for it to start up again. :p

Jess said...

My favourite moment of the month was your birthday too. What a good day that was!

Herding Cats said...

Yay ANTM!

SouthernBelle said...

"February might be the shortest month of the year, but I don't judge things by their length. That's for women to do."

Best opening sentence evs.
: )

Esmé Glass said...

I cannot buh-leeve that you ranked HJNTIY above SM!!! But the dancing! The cute kids! THE YELLOW SCARF!!!!!

My favorite part of Crapuary was when it ended. But I'm Negative Nancy.

Nyxmyst said...

I have to admit, ANTM is my secret love.

I further have to admit that it's just because I REALLY like watching hot chicks cry and fall apart.

Is that wrong?

sj said...

i am so honored that a little tear just fell...

seriously, thank you. such praise from you is even better than tiny little furry bunny babies.

and i agree with belle re: that opening sentence. awesome.

Kellie said...

I really need to get to the theater more often. I have been wanting to see Pineapple Express and I heard Slumdog was depressing and kind of boring. Which explains why it won everything. Blech.

Candy's daily Dandy said...

Oh my, I had no idea you had so much writing to do in one day.

No wonder you are so good at it.:)

KatieSaysSo said...

Me and my dad just watched Pineapple Express. Should I be worried that he liked it more than me??? Hmm...but yes, it was great!!!!

Tash said...

I applaud your linking abilities. Also worthy of applause, the fact that you can remember enough of one month to be able to do a recap of it. I guess this is what happens if you don't keep blacking out. Huh. Breakthrough.

Anonymous said...

Dude. Congrats on, well, pretty much everything listed herein. Except for liking Lil Wayne, of course.

Sorry about that. It's a natural reaction when I hear/read his name.

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin